Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pane Toscano

I don't remember the source of this recipe but I do remember using it to make oven tray sized pizzas for friends at the house on Webb St, (now encased in scaffolding, I don't know if it's badly damaged) so its been around a while. Anyway I just wrote this up to email with Lu and thought that I'd share it more widely. 2 Tb = 28 gms dry yeast  1/2 cup warm water 1/2 cup + 1 Tb plain flour (I always use bread flour) 5 cups flour Pinch salt 1 3/4 cup warm water. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup water. Add 1/2 cup flour, roll into a ball and sprinkle with tb flour. This is the sponge Allow that to rise until doubled. Place 4 cups of the rest of the flour on your kneading surface and form a hollow in the centre. Place your sponge in the hollow along with 1/2 cup of the 1 3/4 cups of wam water. Start mixing it gently, adding flour from the sides alternately with more water until all the water is in. Knead until all the flour is incorporated or you feel that the consistency is about right. Knead another 20 minutes. Shape your dough and rise for and hour. Bake n a preheated oven at 200 , it should take about 40 minutes. Also makes a great, huge pizza.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I loved your "Webb Street" pizzas. They took over the oven. I was thinking of making homemade pizza just the other day :)