Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Travel Travail


Mouse Guard at Great Northern War 201
So I've been back for about a week now and haven't written anything about the trip. First off let me say that great Northern War was great. Much like Canterbury Faire in some respects, if shorter, but about the same number of people and similar amenities. Really enjoyed watching a couple of tourneys but I didn't really do much for reasons I'll go into below.

It was a trifle cooler than I had anticipated but as I had brought my new red woolen cotte, cloak and hood I was never cold exactly. I very nearly bought a lovely blue fox pelt but felt that I couldn't justify the expense. Maybe next year if I can think of something to do with one (and the opportunity presents itself). Right now I have so many costume projects on my list and none of them require furriness.

I was very please with how the cotte 'performed'. The wool is very soft but firm and despite my roundness it managed to both support and fit well. I was worried about what to do with my hair as I haven't yet made suitable headwear but my hair turned out to be long enough to plait and make into templettes (or whatever term you prefer) without requiring anything but a few pins. As there was a court every time I turned around it worked out that I wore my coronet a lot and I was quite pleased with the way it looked with the templettes so I got Nick to take a couple of photos. It was a bit dark and they didn't come out great but you get the idea.

Anyway I am quite keen to start the cotte-hardy (or whatever you prefer to call it). I have all my materials and am just waiting for a quiet weekend.

Below

The flight to Brisbane did not go well.

Firstly I should say that I was not as well rested as I had intended before leaving largely due to a couple of days of snow and no power (all day Wednesday, half of Thursday). I quite like snow and under normal circumstances, and being off work, could even enjoy the novelty of no power and 15-20cms snow on the ground but I think that it also left a 'veneer' of additional stress.

Nick gave me double my normal coffee in the morning (I'd brewed extra for Bob and he thought I meant it all for me) and maybe that 'helped'. Then we had issues checking in. For some reason Nick's ticket had been flagged 'stand-by', although we had paid full price weeks earlier and they refused to give us seats together. Nick was right at the front and me right at the back on the aisle. Then of course we were right on the edge of our baggage allowance and had to move Nick's helm into his hand luggage. I could probably have dealt with all of that and relaxed on the flight (apart from being bumped every 5 minutes by a toilet-goer or flight attendant) except that it was an unusually turbulent take-off. I generally enjoy flying and have never (before) been afraid on a plane but my adrenaline went sky-high and of course didn't return to normal for hours.

So, as a result, I could barely stagger off the plane under my own steam. Just as well I had packed my walking stick. Which I ended up using for the entire event. The adrenaline of course left me terribly achy, so I couldn't sleep well either, etc etc, you get the gist. I was very grateful that it had only been a 3 1/2 hour flight and not the 7-8 hours it takes to get to Adelaide as had been my original plan.

Anyway, on the way back we took precautions, got there early and told them about my condition, arranged for a wheel chair on landing, and everything was fine.
Lesson: don't assume that I won't need extra support on longer flights.

No comments: