Sunday, June 28, 2015

Sky shawl

Another weaving project.

This one had been on the slow burn for a while. In my stash was a roll of light indigo coloured tussah silk. Very slubby but a beautiful colour, just like faded denim but somehow still a fresh colour, gorgeous.   I was perplexed with what to do with it but I decided that it would look lovely with a mixed colour against it and that a selection of the blues and greys that I had in my stash would work well, in terms of colours, with it. Amongst the stash were two mid-weight 2 ply wools, one a dark blackish blue, and the other a light blue grey, but I only had a smallish amount of each. Then there were several cones of very light weight wools in various blues and greys. So not only was my weft of uneven thickness but my warp was going to be of wools of various thicknesses too - I was a bit perplexed as to how to go about calculating the sett for this project.

So I took my ideas and yarns to my first area weavers meeting. Do some samples they said, quite rightly. See I hate doingsales or practice pieces so I had been hoping to avoid that. But I was a good girl and warped up my table loom with a narrow warp and started swing. The sett was WAY. To open so I unwove, re slewed and started agin. Better this time. I did about 10cm in plain weave and loosened the warp, too stiff. Then I did a bit in 2/2 twill, ok, better. But maybe if I had beaten the plain weave more loosely that would be ok, so I did that, better still. Finally I did a bit in 1/3 twill. This last has the affect of placing more of the warp on one side and more weft on the other, which shows off the silk nicely. But when I took the sample off the warp and had washed and dried it I decided to go with the loosely woven plain weave. 
Sample starting from top.

I took the sample to a Guild meeting to double check my conclusions and received general agreement that the sett would work and be stable.

So my next new experience was to warp the sectional beam loom using the multitude of bobbins that came with it. Last time I had 'cheated' and had wound off the warp in the normal way and then used the sectional beam tensioning device to wind each section on. That had worked fine but I wanted to do it properly this time. What had held me back was a) how to wind the bobbins, and b) how to tell when they had enough on them, and not too much. We surmounted a) with an electric drill and a long shafted bolt but b) proved more difficult. I made do with just putting a certain amount on each bobbin but in all cases it want enough so every warp has needed up with a join AND almost all the bobbins have left overs on them which is wasteful. How do I manage it if I have an expensive warp yarn of which I have only the right amount?

Anyway I finally got the warp threaded etc last weekend and began weaving and am already half way through the weaving bit. Seems like the fun bit is also the fast but, it's the planning and warping that takes the time, which is why I am already planning the next warp, and it's going to be a long one, probably about 20m or more with a fine grey marl yarn of which I have SO much I could probably clothe half the barony. I am thinking more twirls for garb this time.

I was right about the colours in my current project. As with the blanket project I am glorying in the fabric as it appears as if by magic under my fingers, disappearing into my lap. It's going to be a shawl, in case that wasn't clear.



No comments: