Thursday, August 20, 2015

Sky Shawl complete.

I actually finished this some weeks ago and have only just gotten around to blogging it. The shawl didn't take very long to weave - in fact much less time than my planning and warping had taken. I think I was done in less than three weeks. The plain weave was very easy to weave, the only thing that slowed me down was having to beat very gently. I ended up more placing the weft with the reed than actually 'beating' it at all.
Full length of floor, unfinished.

It came off the loom and still felt a little stiff in my hands. I assumed that like the sample a wash would take care of that. Above you can see it laid out on the floor, not a great way to photograph it. As you can see I left a long fringe on it. I knew that I wanted a fringe but hadn't decided how to finish the ends. However Nick had long ago bought a lot of cobalt blue beads and one lot were about the right size for the ends so, after removing the waste weft I simply beaded and knotted the ends of the warps.
Detail with beaded fringe




Next I trimmed the fringe to a reasonable length, about 20cm, and washed it. It is still a little stiff, giving it a lovely drape and body, while the wool warp gives it some warmth. It will be really nice for summer evenings.
Shawl draped on dummy

More photos of this project are on my Flickr.

I discovered at my next weaving meeting that the weft that I had thought was silk, because of its lustre and slubbyness, is actually linen. So there you go, one lesson learnt: test your fibres.

Waste Not


I actually ran out of the weft a bit earlier than expected and so there was a bit of warp left over. There was also some warp left over on the bobbins that the sectional beam uses so at Nick's suggestion I used those left overs as wefts and wove a bit more. There's enough for a small bag or cushion cover or something like that.
Left overs

No comments: